Thursday, August 31, 2006

A Work In Progress

Things I have learned:

(warning: most are clichés. Also I do not profess that the following are universally true. They just make sense to me)

1) love, like life, dies

2) you can’t control most things in life. You can however control thing where no one else is involved. I know this sounds like a truism but doing those things brings balance into life. For instance, the two things I want to make happen are getting into shape and learning something new. I know what I want and how to get there. Each step I take toward my goal gives me a new rush

3) you can play Agony Aunt to all except yourself.

4) You can control how you feel. The reason I don’t is because I enjoy being wrapped in emotion. I am, by habit, very rational. It’s the only way to make sense out of the madness. But doing that and only that is dehumanizing

5) You know someone is a true friend when you don’t need to catch up. You just walk into the room 6 months later and resume the conversation

6) Your parents know more than you think they do

7) You want to make the most of each day. I know this is a cliché but the thing I fear most is dying, reviewing my life and going dang, I wasted so much time

8) Loving someone isn’t the same as being in love

9) Things can always get worse. They inevitably do before they get better

10) The universe has an odd sense of humour. But it does take care of you. Finding that out requires patience

11) Philosophy is the head, religion is the heart and man can not live on just one

12) You need ugliness in life to appreciate the good times. Unfortunately, you do not remember the good times

13) It is necessary to break your heart to get over someone and the ones we love often tend to be the ones who hurt us the most.

14) Cooking and cleaning aren’t chores. They are a way of arranging the thoughts that run amok.

15) Your conscience is a measure of the honesty of your selfishness

16) I have theme songs for my life. They often change, just like life

17) If you like someone, tell them. You never know when they will be gone. But the question ‘what if’ will remain forever

18) The day this list stops growing is the day I die

No comments: