Tuesday, November 07, 2006

A liquid diet and I am buzzed

Ever seen fingers play across the strings, the sound amplified
Fingers playing down the neck, the screaming of the instrument, almost like lovers who know each other and play each other, completing each others sentences.

You approach it unfamilar, your fingers touching, pushing the limit, getting callouses but piece by piece the notes thread together and you hear sounds put together, unyielding to the smallest mistaken note, but coming together so beautifully, harmony

I love the guitar. I can spend hours staring at fingers plying the threads, wondering how anyone could concieve basic sounds so beautiful.

I envy those with the natural ear and wonder where they began. But isn't that anything that reaches a zenith. It's like wine. You only see and appreciate the end, but never realize, no, not never, seldom realize everything that went behind it, picking the field, the seeds, watching over every vine, tending to it and hoping the winter wind doesnt crystallize it, praying the summer sun doesn't wither the grapes, plucking each one, tasting the earth it grew in. The same with any music. What went behind it, what was the story he thought about , was he lying back, letting his fingers drift across the strings when he heard the notes come together, not congeal but come out crips and fitting...and he sat up, and tentatively played them again, realizing that those notes had a hidden song before and after them and watching them all come together

Is life like that? Does it crystallize? Does each event piece together or is it a series of random events and you natually try and string them together to avoid a cacophany? If there's a story behind every perfect song and if life like a song, then would every event be a note...and if so, do we see the moments that we should be sitting up and taking heed of and realizing the hidden song before and after them...

I would like to believe that. Every event that makes me sit up, I try and listen intently and see the unrelevealed song.

We all get hit by the 'what if's, some more than others. And there can be a million notes interfering, but once in a while, we need to ignore those and see if we can find the perfect song.

What do I know, I'm 23 and have a life time to discover the perfect song...

Go listen to 'Most of the Time' by Dylan, maybe this post will make more sense (and no, I don't mean listen to the words, the words here are irrelevant, or okay, they were at the time this was written...its the guitars that do it)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

there was a guy before jimi hendrix-esque guy who was equally talented. he played with the japs, the yoko ono and the sensei from kill bill. last night was one of those nights where all i wanted was to have their kind of talent for just that night.

Zaphod said...

you can always do something about, amn't saying you will have their "talent" (have put the word in hopping bunny ears because there is much debate to be had) but well, just pick up the guitar, try picking a few notes...

Anonymous said...

well actually i meant be able to sing like phillipa. or play the drums. soon.

jairaj said...

you wrote this extremely brilliantly...

Zaphod said...

lol, what can i say, am following drunken master style of rapid fire writing
i dunno, this post was a bit heavy, too much on the facade...oh dear here i go using allusions to describe how i feel...my english teacher used to keep correcting me and telling me to use feelings to describe things...I dunno, i think there's another post in this somewhere....what i meant to say, was thank you

jairaj said...

I actually was thinkin of writing something similar...I think more than anything, I just feel so cool when I relate to something I read, it makes my day...cheers!

Zaphod said...

THere's much to be said about thinking. It can be as corrosive as constructive. I learned that the hard way. Oh dear, another post on those lines...