Sunday, April 08, 2007

Whole New Meaning

The first attempts at lyrics, written by Led Zeppelin vocalist Robert Plant next to an evening log fire at Headley Grange, were partly spontaneously improvised and Page claimed, "a huge percentage of the lyrics were written there and then".[5] Jimmy Page was strumming the chords and Robert Plant had a pencil and paper. Plant later said that suddenly, "my hand was writing out the words, 'There's a lady is sure [sic], all that glitters is gold, and she's buying a stairway to Heaven'. I just sat there and looked at them and almost leapt out of my seat." Plant's own explanation of the lyrics was that it "was some cynical aside about a woman getting everything she wanted all the time without giving back any thought or consideration. The first line begins with that cynical sweep of the hand ... and it softened up after that. I think it was the Moroccan dope!"

I think the second last line is so nice that it brings up a whole new meaning to this song for me. Geeky of me to read up on this song but its one of those I remember listening to as a 16 year old going nuts over the guitar solos and the drumming. Hells bells, Bonhom had a rabbits foot, Page had flying fingers and no one could wail like Plant.
And the reason I love music is because this piece will always me hearing it loud as a 16 year old in my room without realizing that everyone who loves this song, felt the same way I did back then. So even when I'm introducing this music to my kid one day, I'll still remember what it felt like then when I was 16 and learning music.


And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

No comments: