Friday, April 06, 2007

Everything Under the Sun

So now I am learning to read music while I play the guitar. Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to learn how to read it, given the notation looks like a completely different language. It's like looking at arabic or hebrew and then actually being able to articulate it and make sense out of it.
It's the headiest feeling I have in a very long time. To let your eyes go over the notes, realize that it's telling how to translate it into music, how something intangible has been thought over by someone and now it's translated perfectly so that you can understand and play it the way it was meant to be played.

Another thing it reminded me of was, and this is a thread going off in another direction. But I will never know what the english language will sound like. For instance, when someone speaks another language fluently, you can feel how it sounds, German is rough & angular, French has too many round sounds, Italian has its own drawl, Latin American languages come at you in bursts. I wonder what English sounds like.

------------------------

So some time ago, Shorty sent me "Walking in the Rain" by Oran "Juice" Jones (not Orange Juice Jones Little One). And every time I hear it, it reminds me walking to work from my place in London. I remember the big gate at the narrow alley way, pushing it open, very Lemony Snicketts when the door opens and you have this quaint English street, the late night Diner opposite, the trucks cleaning the street, construction workers on their way to work, going past the bar with live music, much quieter now, almost tired from a long night on the town. I remember seeing my leather shoes over the cobblestones opposite the theater the night before SpanALot debuted. There's walking to Leicester Square where so many people had been parting the night over, the buildings tired but happy. I go past another wonderfully named pub, watching the delivery trucks unload food to serve people who will be back there in the evening, new people meeting friends, regulars, couples.
Every time i hear the song, I get the mental imagery of this tall guy in a white suit, more fitting given he is black (whats the PC term then? African American? British African??) , very very 80's with a black fedora with red trimming. Or a scene out of an 80's movie when he talks and references like

You know my first impulse was to run up on you
And do a Rambo

or

That's right, Silly rabbit, tricks are made for kids, don't you know
that. You without me is like corn flakes without the milk! This is my
world. You're just a squirrel trying to get a nut! Now get on outta
here. Scat!


But yeah, it reminds me of her and the music she sent me, putting in my iPod and listening to it, trying to figure her out.



-----------

No comments: